- 1 cup toor dal (soaked for 2-3 hours or overnight in water)
- Small handful curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chopped green chillies
- 1/2 tsp ajwain seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Drain the soaked toor dal and place in a blender with the curry leaves, salt and chopped green chillies, then grind into a smooth paste.
- Place into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Heat enough oil in a pan for deep frying and keep on a low to medium heat.
- Add a drop of the mix into the oil to check that it sizzles, remove this and add balls of the mixture into the oil. Fry for a good few minutes till golden brown.
- Use a slotted spoon to take out the bhajiyas and place on a dish with kitchen towel to soak up the oil. Serve hot with fresh coriander on top and ketchup / coriander chutney.
Note: These bhajiyas go nice and crispy on the outside but you can also add chopped onions into the mixture for more texture. They also well in a flat bread with salad and chutneys - oh the joys of bhajiya!